Tuesday 1 December 2015

The story of my Lost Phone.


I guess this is a rainy day I would never ever forget in my life.  As per the predictions Chennai is receiving heavy rains. The moment a cloud is seen the authorities here declare holiday for schools and colleges. But unfortunately people who work have no other option than to reach their places of work by swimming or some other means. Seeing the rain I started pretty early from home after finishing my homely chores. Normally it takes me forty five minutes to reach my office by boarding 2 buses. I reached the second bus stop around 9:05. Inspite of having an umbrella I was drenched while walking from one bus stop to another. I was pretty confident that I will reach office around 9:30. Mean time many other buses came but not 7H, the one I go by. The crowd for 7H also started increasing at the bus stop. Everybody began conversing as of how they reached the bus stop from their respective places all drenched and how they are going to be late as the bus is not coming. Time passed it was 9:15, 20, 25,30,40,50. Meanwhile I kept trying for an Ola auto. The app showed 3 minute autos but nobody accepted my request. By the time I tried again the app showed no autos. It was 10 and the face of my boss appeared before me. I was late. I saw an auto parked a bit far away from the bus stop.  I was sure he would charge me exorbitantly. But I had no other option than to approach him. I was also of the fear that since this particular 7H bus by which I was to travel has not appeared for quite some time, there will be heavy rush in it. After standing nearly an hour I was tired to stand all the way in the bus( I had severe cold). So I did not think again. I walked towards the auto and asked “ anna Mogappair east ponam” ( brother I want to go mogappair east). He said ok but as expected we had an argument over the rate and finalized at 130, if the auto runs on meter normally the charge will be around 80. But because of heavy rain and water clogged roads and non- availability of bus I got in and started off.  I noticed that he was going to sabarimala.(He was wearing the maala and black dhoti , by which I understood).Here and there water was clogged and rain was heavy. I was worried of reaching office late. Punctuality is something I keep as a principle and being late is something I can’t afford. I was wondering whether my boss will accept my explanation.  
Meanwhile I did talk to appa as usual over phone. I utilize my travelling time by talking to my parents. We talked and I told about how unfortunate a day it has been for me. I somehow reached my place around 10:30. I said thanks to the auto driver and climbed 2 storey’s and reached office. A sigh of relief passed me when I saw that my boss has not yet reached. The moment I reached I realized something was missing. I searched my bag , yes “ I lost my phone”. I asked my colleagues to give a ring to my number. There it was saying “switched off”. I began to panic. By that time my boss arrived. I told him. My colleague Vignesh and me went down to see whether there was some way to get my phone back. We searched all over the place where I got down, it was not there. We also asked a few people, no one had any idea. Vignesh asked me whether I remember how the autoguy looked. I said all I remember was he wearing a black dhoti and sacred chain. We went to the nearby auto stand and checked each auto. It was raining cats and dogs and both us were getting drenched. Inspite of the rain we kept asking. One guy directed us to another place and said may be the auto guy can be there. When we were about to go towards that auto we saw another auto parked at quite a distance.  We thought we will give it a try. We ran towards it. And the moment I saw the driver, to be very frank “I saw God”. He was waiting with the phone for me. Tears started coming off my eyes. My throat was drained; I did not know how to thank him. My friend Vignesh shook hands with him. Since I was in a hurry I did not even take my purse. I kept thanking him and he gave me the phone.  He said it was drenched in water and “ naan wait pannitu erundhen, neenga varuvigenu theriyum. 3 savari vandhichu naan pole”. ( I was waiting for you, 3 people asked me for a ride and I denied them, as I was sure you would come back). I did not know what to say. I thanked and thanked him, and returned to office all wet, well more than my dress my eyes were wet. That moment I felt I lost my phone I thought of extreme things. How to block my sim and what if the photos are misused. It was a day back I read an article as of how casual photos can be misused. Anyways I have been extremely lucky.  While I am typing this, my phone is drying and according to some people’s advice I will have to immerse it in a bag of rice for a day or two to see whether it is working. Well if not any one is free to gift me a phone. I know you guys are generous.
Anyways I am happy that my story had a happy ending. I guess these are the moments when you see God in other people.  This is a day I will never forget. And to all of you “ please be safe”. From now on I have learned two things
Note down the auto number
Secondly check and double check before you get out of an auto or shop or wherever.
Anyways life is not that bad as you may think.


No comments:

Post a Comment